[QuadList] quad videotape stock question

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Thu Apr 11 22:36:02 CDT 2013

Hi David:

Interesting.  An old catalog I looked at on Ampex 456 indicated it's 1.5
mil, but a later Quantegy sheet agrees with your numbers.  An additional
0.43 mil certainly is a significant difference!

The other confusing thing is that reel size/tape-time is the same for 10.5"
(1/2 hour) reels of quad tape or audio at 15 ips.  But once you go beyond
the 10.5" reel, things change.  Hour reels of quad tape are 4950' on 12.5"
reels while 5000' of audio tape is on 14" reels.

Next time I change a quad head, I'll use an old head and experiment with the
range of the guide position on some audio stock.  I think there's plenty of
adjustment to accommodate it, but I'm curious now that you've brought it up.
Since there was some 1.0 mil quad tape (which allowed 30 minutes on an 8"
reel for the VR-3000), it seems like a 0.5 mil difference shouldn't be a
problem but it may depend on where the "center" is set.

Don