[QuadList] quad videotape stock question

David Dean dixie at westpoint.tv
Thu Apr 11 10:10:49 CDT 2013

Hi Don

I have just measured some Quad Tape and I get a reading of 0.04mm which
agrees with you, what I didn't understand is why the running time of Audio
tape is shorter if the reel sizes and the speed are the same. I asked an
audio friend to measure some 456 and he measured it as 0.05mm, he also says
that there can be difference in thickness, thicker tapes have higher
saturation points (eg Ampex 499) with more oxide at 0.06mm. I have just had
a look at the Quantegy brochure and it states a thickness of 1.930mil,
.0489mm, so that explains the difference. See link
http://ebookbrowse.com/quantegy-456-pdf-d34081107 (page2)

David Dean
Westpoint Television
Now with Snell Shakeout