[QuadList] Jerry Lewis Explains Time Zone Delay on 2" Quad Tape

Dennis Degan dennyd1 at verizon.net
Fri Apr 19 11:19:12 CDT 2013

		On Apr 18, 2013, at 9:39 PM, C. Park Seward wrote:

> This year for the Oscars, the orchestra   was located at Capitol.

		I say:

	I know.  But that was for the Oscars, a special event.  I recall that happening and thinking how unusual it was.  It's not typical.  I don't know the reason why that was done; perhaps the stage design for the Oscars did not allow room for an orchestra (in the past, the orchestra was usually located under the edge of the stage in what would have been the orchestra pit).  Perhaps the producers wanted to use Capital Studios for some reason, I don't know.  It's not because of a lack of room in the Dolby Theater.
	The Ed Sullivan Show originated from Studio 50 on Broadway in New York with a live orchestra.  There was not much room there for an orchestra, yet they had one just to the right of the stage.  Today, that part of the Ed Sullivan Theater is the front right side of the audience seating.
	On a stage the size of NBC's Studio 1, there would have been no reason to locate the orchestra in another studio.  In fact, locating it somewhere else makes interaction with Lewis more difficult.  It's unlikely that Jerry would have gone for it.

					NBC Today Show, New York