[QuadList] Jerry Lewis Explains Time Zone Delay on 2" Quad Tape

Dennis Degan dennyd1 at verizon.net
Fri Apr 19 11:39:04 CDT 2013

		On Apr 18, 2013, at 10:43 PM, David Crosthwait wrote:

> Paper work in the box confirms studio one. BTW, this was a complicated show with commercials coming from NBC-NY including a pre-taped remote at an Ice Skating Rink on W. 50th Street (Dennis?) and live commercials coming from studio 3B in N.Y.

		I say:

	I can confirm that there is a skating rink between W 50th and W 49th Streets at certain times of the year.   ;)
	Live commercials from the NY studios was not unusual in those days, especially since the majority of the Network originated from there.  For prime time programming such as this, the West Coast would feed the live show back to NY for the East/Cent time zones.  Later, Burbank would have replayed the tape David has for the Pacific feed, adding their own commercials then.  If there was something special about the live commercial coming from the NY Studios, they most likely would have simply re-'performed' the commercial live from NY at the appropriate time in the West.  Otherwise, it could have been incorporated into David's tape when originally recorded, airing again during the West Coast feed.
	What WAS unusual was the fact that the show was live to the East from the Burbank studios.  That didn't happen very often.  Most of the time, during prime time, the East and West operated much more like two separate networks.

					NBC Today Show, New York