[QuadList] AVR1

Peter Ford pford at windowslive.com
Thu Aug 8 17:44:03 CDT 2013

New Zealand had 6 AVR1s - They were originally acquired for the 1974
Commonwealth Games in Christchurch.  After the games they were relocated - A
pair in the Auckland Studios, a pair at Avalon Wellington, One in the
Christchurch studios and one in the Dunedin Studios.

When Television New Zealand "retired" them in the late 1990's The New
Zealand Film Archive was donated one from Avalon on the condition they carry
out the relocation themselves.  Unfortunately being "film people" and
un-accustomed to shifting machines weighing a ton the Film Archive staff
managed to drop the AVR1 off the back of a truck.  As a contractor to the
Film Archive I rescued this machine and dismantled it completely to use as a
source of spare parts should another machine be acquired.

Later the Film Archive managed to acquire the second AVR1 from Avalon, then
even later one of the AVR1s from the South Island.  However the South Island
machine had been left outside and as it was in a very rusty condition, I did
not bother to try and restore it.  However I restored, maintained and
operated the 2nd AVR1 ex Avalon until another incident in 2008.

Just after installing my last remaining working head someone decided to use
the area where the machine was located as a carpentry shop and filled the
room with sawdust.  When the machine was next turned on dust was sucked into
the machine seizing the head air bearings.  This lead to an unresolved
dispute between myself and Film Archive management and the two complete
machines and many spare parts have remained untouched ever since.

One machine could probably be restored to working condition again without
too much effort.  However the Film Archive has no budget and/or the
technical expertise to do this.  Most unfortunate as I had carefully tweaked
this machine to be very gentle on handling tape and it worked superbly as a
restoration machine.

Peter Ford