[QuadList] Library of congress and quads--The Merlin Ultrafurb'd VR-2000

C. Park Seward park at videopark.com
Wed Aug 7 19:34:11 CDT 2013

That TBC is the same one I have in my 1200B.

Merlin did a very nice job in their refurbishment. They basically tore the machine down to the frame, straightened it, painted everything and then put it all together. A bit if re-wiring to remove the analog boxes and add the digital TBC.

Best,
Park

C. Park Seward
Cell: 818-535-2747
Home: 541-476-6657
2" Quad and 1" "C" transfers
The Transfer Lab at Video Park
Visit us: http://www.videopark.com

On Aug 7, 2013, at 5:09 PM, Ted Langdell <ted at quadvideotapegroup.com> wrote:

> James O'Neal (who is on the QuadList) wrote a TV Technology article in 2008 as the LoC was beginning operations.
>
> Story: http://www.tvtechnology.com/news/0110/digitizing-history/187665
>
> Photo link: http://www.tvtechnology.com/Portals/4/james3_022112.jpg
>
> As you can see fom the picture below, there's a Merlin Ultrafurbed VR-2000 that QuadList member Ken Zin rebuilt some years earlier when the operation was in Washington DC.
>

> I believe this is the machine seen in the CBS story that aired last week.
>

> QuadList member Allan McConnell was in charge of the Audio Visual Preservation Lab at the time, through September, 2008 when he retired.  He described his career in a QuadList post [QuadList] My Videotape Background on Jan. 6. 2009.
>
> Allan or Ken might be able to offer some insight into this machine.
>

> On Aug 7, 2013, at 1:42 PM, C. Park Seward wrote:
>

>> Ed,
>>
>> According to the reel hold-down hubs, that 2k has been "Merlinized". If it has the 10 bit NEC TBC, I'd suggest it is making pictures as good as any AVR-1.
>>
>> Best,
>> Park
>>
>> C. Park Seward
>> Cell: 818-535-2747
>> Home: 541-476-6657
>> 2" Quad and 1" "C" transfers
>> The Transfer Lab at Video Park
>> Visit us: http://www.videopark.com
>>

>> On Aug 7, 2013, at 1:30 PM, Ed Reitan <ereitan at novia.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Guys,
>>>
>>> About a year ago, James O'Neal of Television Technology contacted me.
>>> He wanted to know if I knew of an Ampex AVR-1 that could be directed to the LOC.
>>> He was suggesting to them that they should have an AVR- 1 in their restoration stable.
>>>
>>> I am truly surprised that the LOC is using 2000's instead of the much better performing AVR-1.
>>> Can we work together to get an AVR-1 to them?
>>>
>>> Ed Reitan

>>> 818-563-1177 (fax)