[QuadList] Library of Congress and quads - the First Hand

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Thu Aug 8 18:23:21 CDT 2013

Hi James:

Thanks for your informative reply.  My observation was not intended to be
offensive, it was simply based on what is happening, not what could happen
under other circumstances such as an influx of funding.  I'm sure you
realize that "gathering dust" is a figure of speech, and was not meant
literally.  However, the individuals whom I credited with first hand
information were exactly that although they have likely dealt with people
other than yourself regarding technical matters, not the "technical budgets
and planning" for which you are responsible.  You may be totally unaware of
their interactions with Culpeper, but they were not "bystanders" in those
instances.

Yes, the Congress and the administration certainly are dysfunctional.
Having been a public employee myself when I first encountered quads many
years ago, I'm well aware of the challenges of working in the public sector.
Likewise, in recent years, the private sector has had to adapt to a vastly
different economy that I suspect we would all like to see improve.  It's a
challenge for everyone, public and private, to set priorities and evaluate
how we do things and how we can do them better, and generally at lower cost.
Obviously, having the right resources is crucial.

And that brings us back to the AVR-1.  I found the comments regarding what
machines might be best suited for archival work to be very interesting.  I
have to agree that when everything is working, an AVR-1 is very impressive,
both in terms of its signal quality and its tape handling.  I also know that
when something goes wrong with it, it can go very wrong.  Some of the
original design criteria, such as the ability to roll and take the machine
simultaneously, adds a great deal of complexity to the design, and has no
practical application for archival work.  In fact, it seems that the
magnitude of damage that could be inflicted on an irreplaceable reel of tape
would potentially be far greater with a malfunctioning AVR-1 than with any
other machine.

Ted offered the analogy "One can plan to go to the grocery store to re-stock
the fridge, but without money in the bank or gas in the car, its not likely
to happen as planned".  That certainly applies to the budget situation.
I'll submit that along with that wise observation, while it might be nice if
the car were a Rolls-Royce, I suspect that there are more practical
vehicles.  A continued discussion of the pro's and con's of the various
quads used for archival work could be very interesting.  I'm not sure there
is a single, right answer, but considering different viewpoints is always
worthwhile.

Don