[QuadList] DVD vs Blu-Ray

James Snyder snyder at dtvexpress.net
Mon Dec 23 12:24:34 CST 2013

Steve,

Strictly speaking, no DVD can be "NTSC" since NTSC was the 525 line
analog television standard and DVDs are, by their nature, digital TV
delivery media in the 480 line format in the former "NTSC" countries
(using MPEG-2 video compression), and 576 format in the former PAL &
SECAM countries.  However, "NTSC" has become a colloquialism for "480
line video" and is thus misused constantly.

The difference between NTSC and 480 being that, since digital signals
don't need horizontal or vertical blanking intervals, the extra lines
used for those timing signals for analog CRTs are not included in
digital video.  There were 45 lines of blanking in NTSC.  Same with
576:  the H and V blanking lines in 625 line video aren't needed in
digital TV and are thus not included in the digital signals.

DVDs have the ability to reproduce 16:9 (1.78:1) aspect ratio video,
so if the people on your Garth Brooks DVD don't look squished, most
likely the video was orginated in 16:9 480 line digital video.  I
can't imagine anybody creating anything in actual NTSC analog today.
It would look like crap with all the analog artifacts.

Hope this helps,

James
James Snyder
Senior Systems Administrator
Library of Congress -
   National Audio Visual Conservation Center (NAVCC)
Motion Picture, Broadcasting & Recorded Sound Division (MBRS)
Packard Campus for Audio Visual Conservation
http://www.loc.gov/avconservation/packard/