[QuadList] DVD vs Blu-Ray

Dennis Degan dennyd1 at verizon.net
Mon Dec 23 14:38:39 CST 2013

		On Dec 23, 2013, at 1:24 PM, Fred Kovach wrote:

> Assuming its USA distribution only, "NTSC" will probably be sufficient. If you want to satisfy the techies and confuse those who haven't bathed in weeks :), then add "Anamorphic". If you wish to help out the unbathed (or confuse them further), you might want to put a note on the packaging to set their screen to wide screen mode. If you wish to be agonizing thorough, then include the terms that the various companies use, such as cinematic zoom, etc.

		I state:

	I may be making this much more complicated, but as a certified stickler for correct semantics in all things technical, I must point out that no DVD is truly NTSC.  This is because NTSC refers to composite 525-line 29.97fps video with color amplitude-modulated as two 90 degree-phased suppressed-carrier signals (upper sidebands only, bandwidth-limited) operating at 3.579545MHz.  The video on all DVDs is component and contains NO color subcarrier information.  The color is recorded as two separate bandwidth-limited channels of video (not subcarrier sidebands) additional to the full-bandwidth luminance, all packed into the digital information held on the disc.  So technically, you can't call it NTSC as that is now a dead format and never actually was a part of any DVD.
	But you can call it that . . . if you really want to.    ;)

					    NBC Today Show, New York