[QuadList] Frame rates --(was NTSC DVD)--

Norman Hurst gnormhurst at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 24 09:04:04 CST 2013

Our test pattern includes a feature to reveal field dominance reversal.  Here's the demo:

   http://www.sri.com/newsroom/video/field-dominance?iframe=true&template=colorbox&width=800&height=600&autoStart=true

On Tuesday, December 24, 2013 12:48 AM, Ted Langdell <ted at quadvideotapegroup.com> wrote:

HI, Dennis,

My comment wasn't meant to be a slight. My apologies.  Looking again at what I wrote, that seems possible given that I said. "nobody does anything about..."  Can I amend that to "something ought to be done about?"

I'm sorry that stuff with the wrong field order gets as far as the edit room... and I do understand the nature of needing to be able to see fields in order to detect the problem.

That said, its distressing—jarring is my usually reaction—to see this pop up in network flagship broadcasts, especially where the piece the problem clip is in wasn't time-critical.

I appreciate that you'd fix it if there was time to do so, and know that it's not always possible, especially with breaking news coming in from the plethora of possible sources we have today.

I sometimes have to wonder if this is a reflection of progress.  I was trying to come up with the interlaced equivalent of "Two steps forward and one back" which is what's taking place on a field level, but it's not computing this late in the day.

Have you discovered any patterns in terms of what circumstances lead to the problem, and what could be done at the origin or in-path to address the issue before it hits the editing room?

Ted

On Dec 23, 2013, at 4:31 PM, Dennis Degan wrote:
On Dec 23, 2013, at 3:01 PM, Ted Langdell wrote:

>> Fun for archivists, especially when there's material that has the fields out of order and nobody does anything about it in the ingest, transmission, editing or QC (assuming there is such) phases of handling the content.
>

>I say:
>

>I deal with this problem nearly every day.  I even have a method to fix the field order AFTER import, during the edit session (if I have the time to do it).  The problem of importing computer-originated video material with wrong field order is partly due to the fact that you cannot see the field order on a computer monitor.  Field order is only seen on a TV or broadcast monitor; one that can show TV fields.  Computer monitors are all progressive displays.  As a result, the operator doing the importing cannot see the error, unless of course he or she has a broadcast monitor connected as well.
>Ted, it's not like as if we don't care to get field order right.  There are many factors preventing us from doing so:  It's hard to see without a broadcast monitor, and it's hard to fix once it's been imported.
>
>Dennis Degan, Video Editor-Consultant-Knowledge Bank
>    NBC Today Show, New York

Skype: TedLangdell
e-mail:ted at quadvideotapegroup.com

Please trim posts to relevant info when replying.

Change subject to reflect thread direction. Thanks.

Send QuadList list posts to QuadList at quadvideotapegroup.com