[QuadList] Frame rates --(was NTSC DVD)--

Dennis Degan dennyd1 at verizon.net
Tue Dec 24 09:21:38 CST 2013

		On Dec 24, 2013, at 12:48 AM, Ted Langdell wrote:

> My comment wasn't meant to be a slight. My apologies.  Looking again at what I wrote, that seems possible given that I said. "nobody does anything about..."  Can I amend that to "something ought to be done about?"

		I say:

	I didn't take it personally, Ted.  As far as changing it to say ""something ought to be done about…", in my situation, we do as much as we can.  I'm in the news biz and the most important thing in this part of TV is speed.  If anyone has any suggestions on how we can make the process more automatically correct, we're listening.

		Ted also said:

> I sometimes have to wonder if this is a reflection of progress.  I was trying to come up with the interlaced equivalent of "Two steps forward and one back" which is what's taking place on a field level, but it's not computing this late in the day.
> Have you discovered any patterns in terms of what circumstances lead to the problem, and what could be done at the origin or in-path to address the issue before it hits the editing room?

		I answer:

	Yes, I've thought a lot about that.  One thing I've found is that the import setting for field order seems to invariably be set wrong.  But this is not a setting controlled by those who do the imports.  They are not expected to make these adjustments, not can they even SEE any change on their computer screen to know if the setting is right.  So the issue is twofold:  Inability to monitor the situation and inability to do anything about it.  I'm addressing both with my superiors.

					    NBC Today Show, New York