[QuadList] Reviving the Lenticular Kinescope Thread

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Mon Dec 30 11:15:46 CST 2013

Hi, Richard,

Would be interested in learning more about your research that tells you that the clip is NOT a kinescope, particularly an NBC/Kodak lenticular kinescope

What did you learn about that clip?

Looking more closely at the YouTube clip there are videotape dropouts observable, and no indication of film dirt or gate weave or vertical movement that can't be attributed to camera movement.

Also, it would appear that NBC Burbank had Ampex VR-1000X machines in hand by Dec. 14, 1956 and had begun Time Zone Delay by Jan. 15, 1957.

According to television historian Albert Abramson, RCA demonstrated color using a Quad in August, 1957, using what appeared to Charles Ginsburg to be parts of the third VRX-1000 NBC had received.

For latecomers to the thread:

Learn more on the NBC/Kodak Lenticular Kinescope process and Quad Videotape introduction timeline here:

The History of Television, 1942 to 2000
 By Albert Abramson
Page 74

http://books.google.com/books?id=TOMOmmrvwCcC&pg=PA74&lpg=PA74&dq=NBC+Lenticular+Color+kinescope&source=bl&ots=WvBHH8p3rs&sig=1jIZsDs5O6EE4-AxIlk5kfHY0xs&hl=en&sa=X&ei=fJ7BUrDyGIX6oAS8loHwBA&ved=0CHYQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=NBC%20Lenticular%20Color%20kinescope&f=false

Also the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers has many references:
https://www.smpte.org/s?as_q=Lenticular%20Kinescope

SMPTE Membership required to view most at no additional charge. Items can be purchased.

Having read through a number of the items, it's quite a fascinating system.

Skype: 	TedLangdell
e-mail:	ted at quadvideotapegroup.com