[QuadList] Reviving the Lenticular Kinescope Thread

Richard Wirth hrwirth at verizon.net
Mon Dec 30 23:12:03 CST 2013

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, NBC had taken delivery of their first order of Ampex machines in December 1956.  I'm guessing the 1/15/1957 event you refer to was the admission NBC had been testing the Ampex machines on time zone delays.  These were on daytime and late night shows that were still being produced in black & white (Today, Home, Truth or Consequences, News Caravan and Tonight according to Broadcasting 1/28/57 p.72).

Yes, I've combed the Abramson book on the subject.

Regarding Kovacs episode, the source I have at the moment is from NitrateVille.com (http://nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14914).  Ben Model (who curated the Edie Adams DVD's) writes on 11/8/2013:

I believe the 16mm color kine on the "Silent Show" is Kodachrome, not Eastmancolor, and the color element was mute. The audio was sourced from a B&W kine that Edie had saved. The restoration was done by UCLA several years ago. (Sorry, just caught this question.)

Edie always said she had lenticular film, but I've never found it, and the only 35mm kine material in the Ediad collection is B&W.

Ben

I am attempting to contact him to get further information if he has any.  Also, UCLA Archives may have some information as well.

However, in comparing the You Tube video to an Amazon download of the entire program, there evidently was considerable work done in the intervening years.  Unless, of course, the source material for the NBC program (used in the You Tube clip) was different from the DVD release.  But you can definitely see film artifacts in the video on the Amazon download.

I'm still looking for a clip that is definitively Lenticular, though.

Thanks for taking interest,
Richard