[QuadList] Reviving the Lenticular Kinescope Thread

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Tue Dec 31 07:03:21 CST 2013

One might want to clarify whether that 16mm color film at UCLA was indeed struck from a Lenticular element.

A Lenticular print could have some identifying characteristics from the color filter separation process:

Per the article linked to below:

...(the film) must be capable of recording
separately the four bands of light imaged
behind each lenticule. There are 100
of these bands per millimeter.

And further:
As seen from the lenticules, the four recording aper-
tures are then separated by narrow dark lines or “guard bands.’’

UCLA Film Archive now has 2336 x 1752 scanning capability for 16 and 35, which could be a help if viewing via a loupe isn't revealing enough.

Prints could be made, as described  during the 1956 SMPTE Convention in a presentation by C. H. Evans and R. B. Smith, “Color kinescope recording on embossed film,” Jour. SMPTE, 65: 365-371, July 1956:

In part:

The recording equipment consists of an
ordinary 35mm kinescope recording
camera fitted with a special lens, and
working in conjunction with some form
of combining unit which utilizes the
principle of geometrical separation. The
three recording kinescope tubes have
P-16 phosphor screens with peak
emission in the near-ultraviolet region,
and the video signals applied to these
kinescopes have such a polarity that the
color-separation images appearing on
the screens are positives.
The camera is loaded with blue-
sensitive embossed film. After the re-
cording step, the film is developed for 4
or 5 minutes in a positive type of de-
veloper and fixed, washed and dried in
the normal manner. The developed
images are in the form of color-sepa-
ration negatives.
By electronic reversal from negative
to positive, these original recordings
are used for time-zone-delayed rebroad-
cast of the program. Synchronized
magnetic recording film carries the
sound portion of the program. After this
use of the embossed-film negative, it
may be used directly for preparing 16mm
reduction prints on Eastman Color
Print Film, Type 7382. A sound-re-
cording negative suitable for printing on
Type 7382 can be prepared by re-
recording from the original magnetic
track. The composite 16mm color prints
can then be televised.

The author previously advised that prints could be made from the lenticular 35m film:
A banded color filter and a special con-
densing lens system replace the ordinary
illumination system of the printer. The
35mm embossed film passes through the
printer gate, with its lenticules facing
the banded filter. While in the film gate,
the interlaced color-separation records
become colored, as explained in the dis-
cussion of the projector. This 35mm
color picture is then imaged in reduced
size upon the 16mm gate of the printer,
where the print stock is exposed. The
spectral transmittances of the filter bands
are chosen with proper regard for the
sensitivities of the print stock, and not for
their visual effect. Prints have been
successfully made in this manner, with
an Acme reduction printer. The special
illumination system employed had the
same length as the regular system so that
no modifications of the body of the
printer were required.
According to the polarity of the signals
applied to the recording kinescopes, and
depending upon the choice of ordinary
or of reversal photographic processing,
the color-separation images recorded on
the embossed film may be positives or
they may be negatives. If they are nega-
tives, the 16mm print stock would be of
the positive type, such as Eastman Color
Positive Film; if they are positives, a
reversal film such as Kodachrome would
be chosen.

You could look for specific use of the film stocks mentioned, and any noticeable characteristics or artifacts this process imparts.

Hope this is of some help, and the quotations don't go beyond fair use.

Ted

On Dec 31, 2013, at 3:14 AM, Richard Wirth wrote:

> Thanks, Ted.
>
> The Lenticular process was 35mm double system as the film stock (at least initially) had no way to record optical to it according to the Broadcasting article.  Kines were double system to maintain quality for the network runs, particularly the TZD's.  Art Schneider talks about syncing sound and picture for the hot kines in his book.  So there had to be a separate mag somewhere.
>
> The question that still is unanswered for me is how did a 35mm Lenticular color recording end up on 16mm color film?
>
> If they did a 16mm back up, it would have been in black and white for TZD.  If they did a 16mm on color film, it wouldn't have been processed in time to make the 3 hour delay.  Could they have made a THIRD kine to 16mm color film for client/sponsor purposes?  Would they have gone to that expense?
>
> Thanks again,
> Richard

Skype: 	TedLangdell
e-mail:	ted at quadvideotapegroup.com