[QuadList] Reviving the Lenticular Kinescope Thread--Recovery

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Tue Dec 31 07:58:23 CST 2013

On Dec. 31, 2013, at 5:03 AM, Ted Langdell wrote:

> One might want to clarify whether that 16mm color film at UCLA was indeed struck from a Lenticular element.
>
> A Lenticular print could have some identifying characteristics from the color filter separation process:

I've gone back through both the QuadList thread that goes back several years, and also the AMIA-L (Association of Moving Image Archivists) to find some past discussion.

John Gledhill at Bitworks.org posted a sample of Lenticular film during a discussion about how to tell ordinary black and white from black and white vintage Lenticular Kodacolor when spliced into the same reel.

Along with the link, John advised:
Check the shape of the lenticular marks as they cross the women by the  foliage http://www.pbase.com/filmworks4ever/image/133995785

Clicking on the image will take you to:
http://www.pbase.com/filmworks4ever/kodacolor_process

I remember seeing some Lenticular color film after recovery, but I can't recall where or when.

Googling "Kodacolor Lenticular Film" brings up a number of references, including links to clips, and this useful document that tells what to look for, and outlines a digital color recovery process.

http://www.dhlab.unibas.ch/dokumente/r_gschwind/ARRI_2013-doLCE.pdf

Scroll down this linked page about half-way to see some magnified examples of original Kodacolor Lenticular film are shown on this Vancouver Archives webpage:

http://www.vancouverarchives.ca/2012/12/exploring-lenticular-kodacolor/

Film Technology (FilmTech) on Cole Ave. in Los Angeles did a transfer to film for the archive.  Call Zac Fink to get more information.

Here's a 720p clip from LA-based Periscope Films stock footage archive, which used a service provider's proprietary system to transfer the footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj1LyNfUWig

So keep an eye out for some funny-looking black and white movie film that has an odd vertical stripe pattern in it.  You may have some color lurking therein.

Skype: 	TedLangdell
e-mail:	ted at quadvideotapegroup.com