[QuadList] Ampex Mark XV head question

lee williams lasvegastvengineer at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 8 17:56:16 CST 2013

Have a new Mark XV head on a AVR3 that has about 100 on it.

It starts off quiet, then after about a half hour starts to develop a random whine as the tape is passing through.

I would normally call up the company that rebuilt it, but the last 3 times we have sent something back to them they have not honored there warranty.

Does anybody have any experience with working on a Mark XV ?

Was wondering what the screw with the spring that is close to the brushes adjusts?

I am really hesitant to do anything because this head is making a really great picture, but I am concerned that the whine is cutting down on the life.

Any experience would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lee