[QuadList] The end of an era December 31, 2012. NBC Burbank Videotape Department.

David Crosthwait david at dcvideo.com
Sun Jan 6 18:04:51 CST 2013

All recording/playback/edit functions that used to be in that room have either been relegated to the studio where they originate i.e. Leno out in studio 11 or else it has moved to the Universal lot. The idea of a centralized videotape room is not needed anymore or at least not at 3000 West Alameda. But back in the day when there were a lot of shows in the studios, the centralized tape room was the best usage of machines and manpower. Transmission (where every audio and video signal met at a common point) was right across the hall as was Switching Central. All of these departments were on the first floor and people and technology collaborated between the various departments. Telecine was right above on floor 2.

A friend posted the following over on my FB page: "The projects group is completely demo'ing this area to turn over an empty facility to the landlord - The Burbank Studios. NBC signage will be coming down shortly... End of an era, indeed. Was a great ride!"
So whatever was there in VTR for the last 50 plus years is in the scrap pile now, including some vintage coaxial cable from the 50's (I recall seeing lead sheathed coaxial cable there in the 80's!). And don't be thinking that there is any great dumpster diving opportunities for quad stuff. I recall it all being gone by about 1986 or so.

As many of you know, GE sold the 3000 West Alameda lot to a developer a few years ago in anticipation of a speedy transition to the Universal Lot. That didn't happen as fast as they thought. Leno will stay in studio 11 for a while as will network news up on the third floor. But it depends on who you talk to over there as to what department is moving when.

Best Regards,

David Crosthwait
DC Video

david at dcvideo.com