[QuadList] NBC Burbank: Au Revior--Historical tidbits about Burbank's early Quad operation

Gary Adams garyaadams at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 15:24:43 CST 2013

Yes, I grew up in Omaha and because of the one hour shift, Johnny Carson was
a staple in our household.  Later working for a CBS affiliate in Lincoln,
NE, we always had the same feed as Eastern time zone.  But I will say the
Midwest is a great place to grow up.

In a later life (Time Logic), we built time zone delay controllers used for
several networks (in the 80s).  Mountain was often unusual partially because
Arizona doesn't like Daylight time, so, NBC bought our controllers and gave
them to the Arizona affiliates for them to do as they wish.

The more interesting controller we did was for PBS (80s as well) which we
installed in Virginia.  This controller input Eastern feed, and output
Central, Mountain, Pacific and Hawaii in one box using multiple VTRs.  Quite
fun to put together.  What really made it interesting is many affiliates
simply recorded their feed locally, only to be rebroadcast at their own
schedule.  Today, each affiliate has their own recording capability and they
simply schedule when they want to play the shows.

Gary