[QuadList] fun questions for you hardware gurus

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Sun Jan 20 23:57:36 CST 2013

Hi Dave:

In the useless trivia department, Ampex used this style switch on the instrumentation recorders before they used it on the video decks.  The VR-1100 was the first quad transport to use them but the first video machine to use them was the VR-8000 2" helical.  However, they had already been in use on instrumentation decks.  Here's a picture of a transport control for an FR-600 that I had and it predates the video decks.  There seemed to be a lot of technology and design sharing within the company, but many video folks don't know much about other Ampex products.  A similar situation existed at RCA, and both companies had government contracts for specialized products that were often far more sophisticated than what we saw in the television business.

Don Norwood
Digitrak Communications, Inc.
www.digitrakcom.com