[QuadList] fun questions for you hardware gurus

Dennis Ray Wingo wingod at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 21 01:09:39 CST 2013

There is a very good reason for this separation.  The government contracts paid for a lot of the R&D for the commercial products but this could not be shown on the books as it would cause the government to cut payments to the company.  So what you had were two separate divisions, with (here is the most important part) separate accounting for government contracts and for the commercial products.  The engineering advancements made over on the government side could leak over to the commercial side but you could not have the same engineers working on the different products as that again would get you in trouble with the government.  The Instrumenation machines sold for a LOT more than the commercial stuff.  I have seen some head refurb bills for the Ampex FR-900 that were $20,000 per head.  I doubt seriously the commercial world could ever get away with that level of cost but since the heads had different part numbers and a different part number system all through, this could be gotten away with and the commercial guys benefitted.

Note that today Ampex survives primarily as a government contractor.

Dennis