[QuadList] fun questions for you hardware gurus

Bill Carpenter wcarpen107 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 27 09:36:16 CST 2013

Hi Larry,

I met and worked with Bev the first day at Ampex in Elk Grove, Il and he was a great friend forever. He could explain anything happening in the head area very well. He had a hobby of collecting cameras. We got in to a discussion over lunch one day, and after that I watched for certain cameras at Flea Markets and Garage Sales for him.
I had 3 Kodak Retina's, 2- 2a's and a 3a, and the push button on bottom fell out and I lost it.
Bev rebuilt it, and took apart on of the 2's to get the part design. He made one at home, and when he brought all of them back working well, I asked whether he had any in his collection, when he said no, I gave him both of the 2a's. I also had a couple old movie cameras and a Minute 16 which I added to his collection.
In the mid 90's a group came to Ampex, and threw money at them to allow them to try to futher develope a patent that Bev had at Ampex, for "Keeper'ed Media". A high permabilty layer is added to the disc and there was a method to read thru that layer.

I had worked a lot with audio heads before Ampex, so it was great to work with Bev the  first day in the video business. He had designed the Alfasil video heads for the 1" helical format.

Bye for now, love to all, Bill & Gewyn & Ginger (whoof...whoof)