[QuadList] 1" Quad--and a Hitachi 2" Quad portable--

David Crosthwait david at dcvideo.com
Sat Jun 15 20:30:03 CDT 2013

Ted Writes:

> "Heterodyne was the method used by RCA in 1958 to record and recover color on modified Ampex VR-1000 Quads, and in RCA's early TRT series Quad recorders."

Not true in regard to record. Heterodyne was never used as a method to record 2" first generation quad color on the RCA TRT's or Ampex VR's as far as I recall. Direct color recording was employed. In the playback electronics, before direct color recovery was possible in the 60's, a kludge system was used to convert the demodulated color to a viewable picture by a heterodyne process. Thus, a color "dub" at that time simply recorded this un-phased signal to the next copy, therefore necessitating the heterodyne playback process to make color on that dub viewable.

If you look closely at this photo, you will see NBC Burbank Ampex decks (with RCA labs non-standard direct color modulators) combined with RCA labs demodulators and heterodyne color processors for color playback:

Here is an example of a 1958 direct color recording on a TRT-1 that was played back in 1958 for air as heterodyne, but was recovered a few years ago at DC Video as direct color:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUTKl_z9474

Here is an example of a 1959 heterodyne color dub of a direct color master, recovered and converted back to direct color last year at DC Video (Note that this project was the subject of a presentation of "The Reel Thing" at the AMIA Conference in Seattle, December 2012. Chris Lewis, one of Jerry Lewis's sons, co-presented this 2" quad color recovery with me):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKGuJvshnQg

Note that Bosch-Fenrseh had two portable 1" segmented (son of quad) helical machines for field recordings in the mid 70's that were in use way into the 80's, deep into the type C timeline. This machine was a product way before the Ampex and Sony 1" portable field recorders. Additionally, It was not unusual to dub the Bosch material to 2" in a quad only edit bay.

And there you have it!

Regards,

David Crosthwait (Quad List Member using AVR-1, AVR-2, and AVR-3 third generation machines daily)
DC Video
Videotape transfers and more!

3071 North Lima St.
Burbank, CA. 91504