[QuadList] 1966 Brigadoon question

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Thu Jun 20 20:53:33 CDT 2013

On Jun 20, 2013, at 5:26 PM, David Perrussel wrote:

> He just completed the final edit about two hours before air time, and didn't even have time to make a back-up copy, he sent it directly over to ABC and they slapped it on a tape machine and played it.

Since the show was recorded at CBS TVC in Hollywood, the tape playback from ABC Prospect would have been in the afternoon or early evening NY time, and could have been done prior to East Coast air-time.

ABC NY could have made a Quad dub on playback from LA—live from LA to net or not—and LA could have also made a time zone delay copy as the show came down the line from NY, or while the tape played in LA.

Or it could be from a recording someone at a station made and kept.

If you listen closely to the VO for the Armstrong interstitials, (brought to you by) you'll hear that "network sound" we're used to hearing on the West Coast.

How those were integrated is a guess but you'll notice that there's a dissolve from a scene-ending shot to a keyed white "Armstrong" logo that is an animated title and the scene dissolves out under the animated title and into a full-screen element of the commercial break.

> They could have easily made a back-up copy as it was aired, but they did not do so. After the show was aired, they discovered that many of the hundreds of splices had begun to fall apart (as often happened with physical splices), so they never bothered to make a copy of the show. Too bad, we all thought it was a fine production.

Based on David Crosthwait's comments on a number of occasions that spliced programs he's played from the late 1950's /early 60's rarely if ever sprung a splice, I'd think that some salt might be in order?

He's done a lot of NBC material.  Did CBS employ different splicing techniques or splicing tape?  Such that the splices didn't hold as well?

It's not clear from Ray Kemper's comments whether "After the show was aired..." means one play, or when they next opened the tape case some time later and racked it up.

If the same tape was used to air for the West Coast TZD, wouldn't those splices have been re-done?

In reviewing the Internet Archive file, there are two places where someone dropped commercial breaks.  The playback goes to blue during the breakup.  I'm thinking that the tape used to make the digital file was VHS.

Did there seem to be more black between elements than you'd think should be in that first break?

In any case... I'll keep you posted to see what Mrs. Goulet may say.

Skype: 	TedLangdell
e-mail:	ted at quadvideotapegroup.com