[QuadList] TV Station Engineering Report

Dennis Degan dennyd1 at verizon.net
Wed Mar 20 20:23:36 CDT 2013

		On Mar 20, 2013, at 12:20 PM, Don Norwood wrote:

> Trying to answer my own question .........  I notice that in both cases, the 2000B has Editec and the 2000 does not.  That would be an explanation if the machines were used for editing, but I understood that both pics were of machines used for air.  So, still not sure why this was done.

		I say:

	In the case of #29-30, while these were a pair of main on-air prime time VTR's, that may not have been their only use.  They may have been used for machine-to-machine editing during non- prime time periods.
	VTR's at NBC-NY were in heavy use for all kinds of productions.  There were 36 quads in the 5th floor tape area, 6 of which were TCR-100 cart machines.  Productions could come from any of the 8 studios in the building plus the two Brooklyn studios (Brooklyn did not have any quads; the two studios would be recorded at 30 Rock).  There were taped shows going to air (always a pair of machines for each show), commercials airing from TCR's, commercials being copied to TCR carts, and editing of shows and promos.  It was a very busy place.  Under these circumstances, the machines would be assigned in as efficient manner as possible.  Therefore, even though a pair of VTR's were equipped for highest quality playback or one included an Editec, that doesn't mean they weren't used for other tasks at other times, such as recording or editing.

					NBC Today Show, New York