[QuadList] JFK Fifty Years Later--Were any QuadList members workingin TV that day?--Have you handled any materials from then?

Fred Kovach fkovach at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 21 13:46:21 CST 2013

I was a mere seven months old at the time he was shot.  Nonetheless, I do
have a rather humorous involvement with a piece of JFK footage.

I used to work for a video dub house that handled various footage for the
National Archives.  This was in the late 1980's and I was a dubber at the
time.  One day, I was given the assignment of dubbing a rather obscure
speech that JFK had given.  It was not really politically significant.  I
think it had something to do with the Department of Agriculture.  It came on
a 2" Quad reel and I was supposed to dub it to 1".  I had been trained that
old 2" tape was particularly fragile and that the heads could slice through
it if left to idle too long.

Recognizing the importance of JFK to our history, I handled this tape with
particular care.  I set up levels as fast as I could and tried not to
shuttle it too much.  I dubbed it in one pass and made sure that the 2" tape
was well into black before stopping it.  When I stopped it, I very quickly
took the heads down and examined the tape.  To my horror, I found that the
heads had, in that brief moment (less than a second), sliced through 2/3rds
of the tape!

I knew there was no harm done because I had gone so far into the tail.  And
the National Archives was going to pitch the tape anyway once they received
our 1".  So I spun the tape back onto its original reel and sent it back
along with the 1".  I didn't care to be known as the guy who ruined some JFK
footage!

Fred Kovach

Broadcast Technician

417-848-8381