[QuadList] JFK Fifty Years Later--Were any QuadList members working in TV that day?--Have you handled any materials from then?

Steve White Steve.White at 800CallNow.com
Thu Nov 21 13:44:36 CST 2013

Great questions, Ted.  I don't have much to add, technically, but...

It was a long weekend.

Friday, I was in the studio at WTTG (Channel 5 in DC) taking down the
news set, when someone upstairs barked out over the intercom, "Put it
back up.  Kennedy's been shot."

That night, two of us waited with a hot camera out on Wisconsin Avenue,
having heard a rumor his body would be taken to Bethesda Naval Hospital.

The next day was my 23rd birthday.

Sunday, I was working the video console, watching the pool feed, when
Jack Ruby shot Oswald.  My immediate reaction was to punch the intercom
down to videotape and ask, "Did you get that?"  The answer was yes.

By the next day, what had taken a year to plan (television coverage of
his inauguration) had all been reassembled to cover his funeral.  I'll
add some of the bits & pieces I recall about that in a later posting.

Steve