[QuadList] JFK Fifty Years Later--Were any QuadList members working in TV that day?--Have you handled any materials from then?

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Thu Nov 21 14:40:06 CST 2013

On Nov 21, 2013, at 11:36 AM, Dennis Ray Wingo wrote:
> I was three years old....
>
> :)

A lot of us were too young to be "in the business" but I wonder how much of what we experienced during our 0-10 years influenced our career choice(s).

I was eight, and was—from knowledge picked up from reading technical books from SAMS and other publishers at our local public library—fascinated with how it was all being put together.

The news travelled back to my California elementary school via kids who had gone home for lunch and learned of it then.

I was quite surprised that no school people—teachers or administration—had said anything, nor did say anything. They could have crowded the kids into the same classrooms that had been wired for ITV and tuned in coverage as they did when the Mercury space flights took place.

I spent the afternoon and evening at a neighbors house watching the television coverage.  CBS, from what I remember.

remember the live coverage of the arrival of Air Force One and the transfer of the people and JFK's casket... the lights and highlights causing IO halos.

The funeral coverage was quite smooth and remarkable.

Pretty good work from all directions when you consider what it took to connect point A to B back then, and that the equipment being used was tube and could be  unpredictably temperamental.

If I were CBS and CBS had a cable news channel (or wanted to send something that affiliates could show on their .2 or .3 channels,) I'd have put together a Kennedy Week that aired much of the content in its entirety... recreating the broadcast coverage as it might have been possible.

Keep the recollections coming.

I'm heading off to the Bay Area for the Quad Videotape Group tour of the NEP truck in San Jose.

Cheers!

Skype: 	TedLangdell
e-mail:	ted at quadvideotapegroup.com