[QuadList] Introduction

Fred Kovach fkovach at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 11 23:56:37 CDT 2013

I have been lurking for some time, but decided to take the plunge and join
the group.

I am presently the Chief Engineer of Global University's TV studio in
Springfield, MO.  I have been in broadcasting for 30 years; having interned
at the PTL Television Network, where I got my first taste of videotape on 2"
and 1" and got hooked!  After my internship, I moved back to my hometown of
Pittsburgh, PA where I worked at WRS Video Labs, starting as a dubber, but
was soon promoted to Engineer and eventually to Shop Foreman.  While there,
I maintained Ampex AVR-1's and had the opportunity to restore two AVR-2's.
I mainly worked on their Ampex 1" VPR-2B's though.

After three years there, I met my wife and moved to Florence, SC to be
closer to her.  There I worked for WPDE-TV15, maintaining their Umatic and
Beta SP decks.  In 1995, I transitioned into my present position at ICI
University, which became Global University in 2000.

Presently, I have been called in to maintain an RCA TR-600 at a sister
studio here in town.  I am enjoying this "blast from the past" in my career,
and look forward to doing more work on the 2" format.  While I am sure there
are younger engineers than I who work on 2", I figure that I must be one of
the youngest (at age 50) who operated 2"; since I did so at the beginning of
my career.

I am also working on a Sony 1" and a Hitachi 1" VTR in the same facility.
If anyone has knowledge of Hitachi 1" VTRs, or knows of a 1" forum in
cyberspace, I would appreciate the information.

Having read the wisdom of many of the engineers on this forum, I doubt that
I will contribute much.  I'm not sure I have that much to contribute.  But
if I can help you somehow, just ask.

Fred Kovach

Broadcast Technician

417-848-8381