[QuadList] OT anyone have one of these colorizers!?

Gary Adams garyaadams at gmail.com
Sun Oct 20 20:26:03 CDT 2013

Yes definitely OT.  Because I spent so much time on this, it was of
interest.  We did have that stock wipe control panel you have in the
picture, Don, but we never used it so it was available for testing.  We
built our own panel completely, shown here (again forgive the photos as
these were early 70s).  My still long time friend Ron Beideck in the photo.
The panel to the right of the mix panel had the cuts only portion and was
used for on air.  Read below for the next picture.

 <http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0093009/gp/gary_adams/c2Po37>
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8433/7532630996_9cd63c1862.jpg

L100301 1974 <http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0093009/gp/gary_adams/c2Po37>  May
KOLN Control Room

When I started at KOLN I knew nothing (and the older I got, the more I
realized how little I knew).  Our Quads (3 1200s) were run in Horizontal
lock because the servos were not in top shape.  They didn't feed the timed
inputs to the switcher.  So a typical station break would have one or two
taped spots and a live slide/announce.  Since the VTRs were not vertically
locked, we figured everyone at home saw a vertical roll switch for every
spot (Net/VTR/VTR/Slide/Net).  While I didn't know much, I made it my task
to learn how to make this work better and with the help of the Engineers
there, we finally made all machines  work in "Automatic" lock all the time.
It made our station breaks look much better.  After hours we would gunlock
to the network so our breaks would be even smoother, but that was always a
risk.  We loved  it though.

So, to keep it on topic.  Here is a photo of the racks including one of the
three quads.

 <http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0091009/gp/gary_adams/nptz0V>
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8146/7532648296_5cc491cf67.jpg

L100294 1974 <http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0091009/gp/gary_adams/nptz0V>  May
KOLN VTR Room

You can see the switcher rack (third from the left of the quad) similar to
the one in my earlier photo, but this one had the tube EMI electronics for
mix/effects (as they were) and keys.  You will also love the Tek lab scope
where I learned how to use delayed sweep.

Sorry for the rant but this was fun.  Gary