[QuadList] Project Jenny - Flying Quads

J. Mitch Hopper id at brainmist.com
Fri Sep 20 20:23:19 CDT 2013

First - yes, I really am that old - darn it. This stretches my brain archives.

I believe there were several bases of MPATI operation. There was a second group that flew the Nebraska area.  All went under at the same time. Federal funding??? Not sure.
Most of the pictures on the Internet about MPATI show a military type person in one of two poses - and the VTR is an odd one of the VR-1000 line.  I assume they are from the Vietnam Jenny project.  I know of no remaining pictures of the actual AIT (Agency for Instructional Television - Bloomington, IN) planes.  The photos I saw (I was never on one of the aircraft) showed RCA VTRs - one vertical - probably TR-4HB, and the other horizontal - probably TR-22HB - and featured a jumpsuited operator definitely not military.  But, I saw those photos in the way-back-when days.  I wonder how the typical air turbulence would affect the headwheel stability?  But, I know most of the material was B&W and probably played in switch-lock or tonewheel anyway.

If memory serves (and it doesn't always!) the Nebraska planes were fed tapes from GPNTV (Great Plains National TV - Lincoln, NB) who we (the state of IL) also dubbed and distributed for.  That is when we saw the first flood of new materials from the L.A. ETV market (Western Instructional Video) in.... gasp... color!

So long ago, so many dead brain cells along the way!

My website still has a few slide logos from the early ETV fare buried in a story about WJJY-TV.  www.brainmist.com  - click the menu button for "The Rise & Fall of WJJY-TV".  My favorite show (slide on the website)... "The Communists"!  ETV was so left wing back in the day.  Hard to remember.

J. Mitch Hopper
Custom Video Systems Co.
Rochester, IL
217-498-8438
id at brainmist.com

It's been lovely but I have to scream now.