[QuadList] Project Jenny - Flying Quads

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Wed Sep 11 17:42:13 CDT 2013

Mitch, what can you tell us about the use of different brands of VTRs aboard the Midwest plane(s)?

You report RCA TR-4 vertical decks being airborne.

The Midwest project was the subject of posts in July 2010:
http://mail.quadvideotapegroup.com/pipermail/quadlist_quadvideotapegroup.com/2010-July/002966.html

One source http://www.meldrum.co.uk/mhp/knackers/behind.html
shows Ampex VR-1001 vertical transports being used in a DC-6.

The Vietnam YouTube showed Lockheed SuperConstellations.

This page about the Connies has more about the Vietnam television versions:
http://www.dean-boys.com/ec-121.htm

NC-121J--Four R7V-1/C-121Js were converted to NC-121J for use as airborne television transmitters in Viet Nam. A Number of others were converted and many were one of a kind. Some were used for "Black" psychological operations.

And UK off-shore ship-based Radio Caroline's founder had plans for a "Connie" based television opperation:
http://www.cherishedtelevision.co.uk/caroline.html

More about airborne television here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratovision

Skype: 	TedLangdell