[QuadList] Tape baking

Glenn Gundlach stratus46 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 25 14:03:38 CDT 2014

We've had great success with baking polyester based quad (and audio) tapes both at ADS and CBS. We're wondering about the 'old red stuff' which might be acetate. I've heard some say 'don't bake it' but no one gives a reason why. One of the websites says acetate tends to dry out and get brittle so I imagine heating it up will just make it worse. We have not damaged anybody's tape yet and want to keep it that way.

Does anybody have success or horror stories concerning acetate tape?

Glenn Gundlach ( G² )
CBS video tape maintenance, Television City