[QuadList] OT: NYC trip--More food and fun---

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Wed Apr 23 03:39:53 CDT 2014

Given the time you'll be visiting, plan to acquire an umbrella.

You may find the weather going from sunny or cloudy, rather humid and sticky to a thundershower pouring rain on you mercilessly. I found an umbrella necessary on an unplanned parts run from the Lower East Side to B&H in Midtown. The two-block walk from the subway station to B&H and back to the subway would have left me way soaked... not to mention the parts. (Whoops just did.)

Lotta food options, as George and Dennis were trying to point out.

Be prepared for an very distinct, "meaty" nasal presentation when entering Katz's. Might be off-putting to some. And the pronunciation of the street.  HOW-ston... definitely not like the city in Texas.

Quite a lot of options:http://katzsdelicatessen.com/menus/  Can't remember what my German colleague and I ate, but it was good.

There are some other interesting places in the neighborhood I found on a week-long install.

If you're on the Katz's corner of E. Houston and Ludlow, you can walk west a block and a half on E. Houston toward Allen St. and check out Russ and Daughters.  Had some tasty stuff from there.

Down Ludlow street from Katz's I found an organic place that was pretty cool. Can't remember the name without digging for receipts, but it had cool windows that open to the street.

Also Tavern Di Bacco.  And on Rivington St., an interesting little tea shop, http://www.teanynewyork.com/ with an outdoor seating area.  It was too hot for me inside that afternoon, but nice outside and just protected enough through a major thundershower.  Watched the water come up over the curb and onto the sidewalk, it was raining so much.

While you're in the Lower East Side neighborhood, check out what's playing at the Anthology Film Archive at 2nd Ave. and 2nd St.  http://anthologyfilmarchives.org/film_screenings/calendar#day-23

Subway stations are nearby, and getting from there to and from the 50's (NBC, CBS, etc) is pretty easy and your cell phone may work for much of the trip. I seem to recall my Google Maps App worked underground on my iPhone, making it easier to tell where I was on a parts run to B&H in the rain.

Here's the MTA trip planner:
http://tripplanner.mta.info/MyTrip/ui_web/customplanner/tripplanner.aspx

And just for fun... take in the eye candy at B&H, 420 9th Ave. between W. 33rd and W. 34th Sts, two blocks east of Penn Station and Madison Square Garden.  Always check the hours, because they close for Jewish Holy Days and the Sabbath.

Look into what the NY Public Library and the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) may be showing from their moving image collections.

The NY SMPTE Section hasn't listed the May meeting date.  Here's the link to the section's webpage and the April 30 meeting at AbleCine in Greenwich Village (Pronounced Gren-ich) just north of W. Houston St.  AbleCine

If you want to venture out of Manhattan, check out the Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria, Queens.

Hope this helps fill your "dance card."  Take pictures and let us know if you run into any Quads in NYC.

Skype: 	TedLangdell
e-mail:	ted at quadvideotapegroup.com