[QuadList] Nixon resigns speech but with the open mike and camerabefore t...

COURYHOUSE at aol.com COURYHOUSE at aol.com
Mon Aug 11 04:47:28 CDT 2014

heck nixon hated  the  press.... the  fewer the better

Ed#

In a message dated 8/10/2014 3:02:45 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
alan at snugglebunny.us writes:

On  8/9/2014 11:33 AM, Ed Sharpe via QuadList wrote:

> ok... why  were everyone  besides  CBS personal tossed out  during   the
filming?

My guess? Nixon may have suspected that if there  were family and/or
staff members in the room during the broadcast, they  would be very
emotional, and that would make it more difficult for him to  finish the
speech. Presumably the CBS crew would be able to remain more  detached.

Interesting thing I learned this morning (aside from the fact  that CBS
handled the pool)--the CBS camera technician in the Oval Office  for that
speech (I believe his name was George Nicholas) was interviewed  this
morning on "Face The Nation". Not a tough "get" for FTN--Mr. Nicholas  is
still with CBS-Washington and operates Bob Schieffer's straight-on
camera every Sunday  morning.

ak