[QuadList] If you don't see your post appear on the QuadList in an hour---

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Tue Jan 21 23:39:01 CST 2014

Hi, QuadListers,

Several people have reported to me off-list (as requested) today that they have not seen a post they sent appear in either the archives or on the list.

So far, the only common thing I can identify is that the posters reporting problems to me today were using AOL.com, gmail.com and at least one address that runs through Google.

We're attempting to identify the nature of the problem and would request your help if this happens to you.

First, CC yourself when you post to the QuadList.  That'll let you know the message got through your own mail server.

Second, we'd like you to change your preferences so you receive an Acknowledgment email (ACK) from the MailMan system when you send a post.

That will enable you to know whether the system has received your message.

Use the preferences link below with your subscriber e-mail address on the back end to get to the settings:

http://mail.quadvideotapegroup.com/mailman/options/quadlist_quadvideotapegroup.com/your e-mail at your domain.com

On the page, you'll see—among other options— these two items:

Receive your own posts to the list?
Ordinarily, you will get a copy of every message you post to the list. If you don't want to receive this copy, set this option to No.

No
Yes
Receive acknowledgement mail when you send mail to the list?

No
Yes

Set both to "Yes"

That should ensure that you see what you post, and you get an acknowledgment that the system has received the message.

The ACK you're supposed to get looks like this (Plain Text may be slightly different)

Your message entitled
   Re: [QuadList]  60th Anniversary of NTSC-QuadList members involved in article
was successfully received by the QuadList mailing list.

Your preferences: http://mail.quadvideotapegroup.com/mailman/options/quadlist_quadvideotapegroup.com/your e-mail at your domain.com

When you DON'T see a message post to the list after a reasonable time (and I'd say an hour is reasonable for this purpose) please to three things:

Check the archives to see if it appeared there:
http://mail.quadvideotapegroup.com/pipermail/quadlist_quadvideotapegroup.com/2014-January/date.html

 Let me know by forwarding me the message you sent to yourself  with expanded headers so we can see how it was routed.

Also send any acknowledgement message you received, or advise that you didn't receive one.

This will help me build some data to take to our web host's support staff and have them do digging to see what's going on.

The "posts to the black hole" appear to have occurred within the last 24-hours, but one post was made in the last 7-10 days.

I'm checking to see whether the message "plumbing" routes QuadList posts through any spam filtering, and if so, whether these posts are getting filtered out before they hit the MailMan software.

Does this seem a lot like tracking down a very random intermittent??

If anyone with MailMan list mum experience has some additional suggestions, please let me know off-list.  Thanks.

Skype: 	TedLangdell
e-mail:	ted at quadvideotapegroup.com

Annual Lunch at NAB at 12:30pm on Tuesday, April 11, location TBA:
NAB 2014, Las Vegas, April -10, 2014
Free Exhibits Pass registration! Use number: LV9822