[QuadList] Update: Sony PVM-14L4 - RGB Appearing as GBR

Steve Burgess saburgess at btinternet.com
Thu Jun 5 22:33:09 CDT 2014

Thanks to those who responded with suggestions. The PVM-14L4 monitor comes apart easily giving good access for servicing and I have now scoped the R, G and B pins on the CRT base socket, marked KR, KG and KB on the copper side silk-screening (K = Kathode). Remembering that the large amplitude signals here are negative-going for increasing brightness I found KR is low for bars 1,2,5 and 6 (1 white, 8 black), KG is low for bars 1,2,3 and 4, KB is low for bars 1,3,5 and 7.  So the CRT drives are as they should be.

The stuck-on magnets where the CRT bowl starts to form and beyond look present and correct and the flash of white paint across the CRT neck magnets is undisturbed.  As the beams appear to be landing on the phosphor stripe next to the ones they are supposed to be landing on, a shadowmask problem, I guess.

I found someone else reporting the same problem with a PVM-14N6U here...

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50239

Anyway the monitor will be returned to the vendor for a refund.