[QuadList] Fwd: Rapid and Non-Destructive Sticky Shed Assessment Research

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Mon May 12 09:35:03 CDT 2014

This research might be of interest to QuadList members.

I have some Un-opend 3/4" Scotch cassettes and 1" Fuji tape I will be donating.

Cheers from getting-warmer California

Ted

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "<John Quirk>" <quirkj at MAILBOX.SC.EDU>
> Date: May 12, 2014 5:50:29 AM PDT
> To: AMIA-L at LSV.UKY.EDU
> Subject: AMIA List Rapid and Non-Destructive Sticky Shed Assessment Research
>
> Dear Colleagues,
>
> The University of South Carolina and Library of Congress are collaborating
> on research to develop a non-destructive protocol to rapidly assess magnetic
> media collections for sticky-shed syndrome. The initial tests on 1/4” audio
> tape proved very promising. We are now expanding our investigation to
> include video tape and your help in locating unopened video tape stock is
> critical. We are soliciting donations of unused 3/4 inch U-matic and 1 inch
> video tape.
>
> Because of ease of confusion of boxes, hubs, reels and tapes after opening,
> only unopened or sealed tapes are useful.  The grant can cover shipping
> costs. If you are interested in helping but want the tapes returned to you,
> we can accommodate this. Otherwise, we will keep them as part of our test
> collection.
>
> If you are interested in supporting this research with the donation of
> unopened video tapes please email me, John Quirk, at USC’s Moving Image
> Research Collections to let us know what formats, makes and models you have.
>
> Thanks very much!
>
> John Quirk
> Research Assistant
> Moving Image Research Collections
> University of South Carolina
> 707 Catawba St. Columbia, SC 29208
> quirkj at mailbox.sc.edu

Skype: 	TedLangdell
e-mail:	ted at quadvideotapegroup.com

Eighth Annual Quad Videotape Group Lunch at NAB:  12:30pm on Tuesday, April 14, 2015