[QuadList] Tragic tripod head? not the normal large head I have seen with...

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Sat May 3 11:56:34 CDT 2014

Necessity if the mother of invention.

If I'm not mistaken, television cradle heads were adapted from geared cradle heads developed for large film cameras like blimped three-strip Technicolor units that were huge and heavy.  Larger than TK-40s/41s.

Cam heads, which used the weight of the camera, a cam and rollers to counterbalance the assembly came in later.

It would be interesting to see a timeline or history of camera head development for film and television.

Ted

On May 3, 2014, at 9:44 AM, couryhouse at aol.com wrote:

> Yea...  funny thing is  usually  you see this  size/weight  camera on a  HF  huge  version of the  cradle  head.  It is about all  you  can do as one  person to pick the head up.   that  cradle head is many times the weight of the  one you see normally under a tk 11
>
> Ed#
>

> In a message dated 5/3/2014 9:40:56 A.M. Mountain Standard Time, ted at quadvideotapegroup.com writes:
>

> Looks like a tripod from Houston-Fearless, often seen with microwave gear on top.
>
> The head might be a fairly standard friction head with a large metal plate bolted onto it, and that's then screwed into the bottom of the camera.
>
> Too little detail to say for sure.
>
> Ted
>
> On May 3, 2014, at 9:06 AM, couryhouse at aol.com wrote:
>

>> Tragic tripod head? not the normal large head I have seen  with  early color cameras
>>
>> is this an accident looking to  happen?
>>
>> Ed#
>>

>> <Untitled.jpg>
>
> Ted
>
> Ted Langdell
> Secretary
> Skype:
>   TedLangdell
> e-mail: ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
>
> Eighth Annual Quad Videotape Group Lunch at NAB:  12:30pm on Tuesday, April 14, 2015
>

> =

Skype: 	TedLangdell
e-mail:	ted at quadvideotapegroup.com

Eighth Annual Quad Videotape Group Lunch at NAB:  12:30pm on Tuesday, April 14, 2015