[QuadList] QuadList is loosing it mind--Not exactly--Bounces with AOL and Yahoo addresses--

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Sun May 4 11:58:45 CDT 2014

Hi, Ed, Mitch and other folks wondering why they may have gotten "disabled due to excessive bounce" notices:

When you subscribe to the QuadList, your subscription is infinite unless:
You unsubscribe yourself
I unsubscribe you (not likely)
There's a problem with your e-mail address rejecting mail from the QuadList.
Some reasons for rejects could be when an e-mail box is full, or for some other issue.

The MailMan software used by the QuadList can see whether this is a temporary issue or a fatal (permanent) issue and scores the situation by whether its temp or fatal, and how often the bounces happen.

If the bounces reach a certain score, the account is disabled and you are sent a notice about it.

The disable is intended to keep from having the mailing list equivalent of a feedback loop continually bouncing messages between the two servers like a ping-pong ball.

My QuadList admin e-mail account is also sent a notification so I can check on what's happening.

What happened to you overnight:

Your e-mail accounts triggered a reject, aka as a "bounce."

A "bounce" occurs when a recipient's e-mail server rejects the e-mail sent from the list, and sends a reject notice to the QuadList mailman server.

Again, the disable is intended to keep from having the mailing list equivalent of a feedback loop continually bouncing messages between the two servers like a ping-pong ball.

As the List Admin (aka List Mum), I did some checking of the list interface and my mailbox that receives Admin-directed notices.

The bounces appear to have begun when Ed replied from his AOL.com account to Re: RCA Coffin Cam and Friction head-