[QuadList] IVC 900 series 1" (was 1970 3M Industrial Tape Sales Sheet coming soon)

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Wed May 21 03:15:17 CDT 2014

The 900 series seems to have been attractive for a lot of small market stations.

From Marysville in the middle of the mid-Sacramento Valley, I'd occasionally be able to see KFTY, 50, Santa Rosa from its Mt. St. Helena TX site if I cranked the Yagi due west. Didn't realize you'd worked there, Mike. :)

Around that time, I recall seeing at least one, maybe two 900 series machines at KRCR-TV, 7R, Redding, along with IVC cameras. Wish now I had shot pictures. I think they were in overbridge consoles.  Think I was told only one had a TBC.

I DID shoot pix at WHIZ-TV, 16, Zanesville, OH in 2006 or 7... (hard drive's they're on not immediately at hand or I'd post a pic) and those helped them find a new home in Los Angeles.  Two 960's and a 900.

Back on Feb 7, 2011, at 10:12 AM, C. Park Seward wrote in the thread Re: [QuadList] Super Bowl I Videotape-Could an Armed Forces Network bicycle tape be in some dark warehouse?

> I will ask what happened to the AVR-1 from Ramstein. This pic is from 1975.

Looks like IVC Blue (900 series) next to the AVR-1's Ampex Gray.

In the back corner, it looks like the microscope eyepiece of a Smith Splicer sticking out from between the racks and just to the right of that, a second generation Ampex Quad peeking out from behind a film island camera.

Don Norwood and Chris Hill ID'd the corner Quad as a VR-1100 and spotted a number of other things.  That was a good thread.

On May 20, 2014, at 10:56 AM, mike at bolandcom.com wrote:

> The IVC 900 (& 960 editing machine) were highband (7.06-10 MHz) tension-servoed
> machines that would accomodate large reels for 1.5 hour programs.  Used with the
> DOC and "wide" window (40 µs?) 4102 analog TBC, the machine gave better playback
> performance than many contemporary quad recordings.  (Many, maybe most, quads
> at the time did not have Velcomp or Autochroma to fix guide-position errors caused
> during recording.)
>
> I had the pleasure (!) of working with the first two On-Air 900s at KFTY in Santa Rosa
> in 1972-73, one on in the truck, and one in the studio.  Not much publicity given to
> that 1st roll-out status, as it was more of a beta site than anything!  At least IVC was
> less than 2 hours away!
>
> mike b
>

> On Tue, 20 May 2014 09:54:11 -0700, Ted Langdell <ted at quadvideotapegroup.com> wrote:
>

> Ding!  Ding! Ding! Ding!
>
> Don is the winner!
>
> I'll post the sheets later today, I hope.  Will send link to the list.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Ted
>
> On May 20, 2014, at 9:06 AM, Don Norwood wrote:
>

>> Ted:
>>
>> I didn't see anyone else answer your question, so......  IVC 900 series is the answer.
>>
>> And this fits into the discussion about IVC vs Ampex.  The 900 series was more advanced than the 800 & 700 series, and was more on a level with the VPR-7900 series.  When comparing the "formats", you have to be careful to compare both the format itself and the particular machine model being used.
>>
>> Don Norwood
>> Digitrak Communications, Inc.
>> www.digitrakcom.com

Skype: 	TedLangdell
e-mail:	ted at quadvideotapegroup.com

Seventh Annual Quad Videotape Group Dinner at AMIA:  7pm, Tuesday, October 7. 2014, Savannah, Georgia
Eighth Annual Quad Videotape Group Lunch at NAB:  12:30pm on Tuesday, April 14, 2015, Las Vegas Convention Center