[QuadList] Low Band Color recovery--Bell Telephone Hour--Feb. 16, 1965--

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Sun May 25 14:09:28 CDT 2014

The February 16, 1965 Bell Telephone Hour episode is "The Masques of Music."

I was also impressed with how clean the transfer looked.

And the overall "look" of the segment and how well Director Sid Smith told the story with two floor cameras and one on a crane.

Ray Bolger hosted, with appearances by Carol Lawrence, Harve Presnell, Régine Crespin and Sándor Kónya.  Charles Andrews produced.

The pianist is  Lorin Hollander, who already has a familiarity with NBC Studio 8-H.

His father Max was the associate concertmaster for the NBC Symphony, conducted by Aurturo Toscanini from then radio studio 8-H, and this appearance on the Bell broadcast was his fifth and final time.

Hollander was 21 at the time of this live broadcast, had been playing publicly since age 5. He played Carnegie Hall at 11, and began recording for RCA in 1958 when he was 14.

Hollander first Bell Telephone Hour appearance, Nov. 6, 1959 (at age 15), is featured on the DVD "Great Pianists on the Bell Telephone Hour: 1959-1967", VAI 2002 DVD

At 17, he developed a form of epilepsy that intermittently affects how well he can play.   He kept that a secret for 30 years, while making live performances and recording.

He's known for performing several classical pieces in the 1982 film, Sophie's Choice. Still musically active, Hollander also lectures about nurturing prodigies and human creativity.

Here's an alternate way of viewing Hollander's 1959 performance, at 3:44 into this YouTube upload... via a restored 1956 RCA color TV. CTC-5 model... in HD:

Enjoy!

Skype: 	TedLangdell
e-mail:	ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Web:	www.quadvideotapegroup.com

First QuadVideotape Group Dinner at SAA, 7pm, Tuesday, August 12, 2014, Washington, DC

Seventh Annual Quad Videotape Group Dinner at AMIA:  7pm, Tuesday, October 7. 2014, Savannah, Georgia
Eighth Annual Quad Videotape Group Lunch at NAB:  12:30pm on Tuesday, April 14, 2015, Las Vegas Convention Center