[QuadList] Low Band Color recovery

William R. Short wrs3 at hurstwic.com
Sun May 25 12:44:24 CDT 2014

I've been curious about this for a very long time, but recently seeing some
frame grabs and some YouTube transfers (such as the DC Video transfer
linked below) has really piqued my curiosity. My experience with quad was
at WHEN TV, the CBS affiliate in Syracuse, NY. I worked there for a number
of summers while a high school and an undergrad student, and duties
included videotape operation and maintenance. The summer I arrived, there
were four VR-1000 machines in the tape room, and the summer I left, there
were three AVR-1 machines and an ACR-25. Program material recorded in low
band color on the VR-1000 suffered from moire in areas of low luminance and
high saturation, whether played back on a VR-1000 or an AVR-1. I knew it
wasn't just us, because I occasionally saw archival material fed from
CBS-NY with moire. I've always assumed moire was inevitable with LBC, and
that it was "baked in" to the tape. Yet the frame grabs and YouTube LBC
material I've recently seen look stunning, without any visible moire. So,
is the moire inevitable with LBC or not?  If not, what was done to mitigate
it during recording? If it is, is there some way to recover the analog
video without the moire? Or was this material post-processed in the digital
domain to remove the moire? Thanks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX6oGHfyx_I

Best regards,
William Short