RCA Nomenclature

Chill315 at aol.com Chill315 at aol.com
Wed Oct 1 11:10:59 CDT 2014

To pick up on the two previous emails.

I just realized that the model numbers of RCA mics started with the
numbers, like in 77DX and 44BX while cameras started with the letters like  TK-41.

Best,
Park

Park,
I think the distinction with RCA model numbers  is older gear vs newer --
Pre mid 1950s vs post mid 1950s.  Earlier gear such as the iconic 76
consolette, or the 50D or 5D transmitters,  the 86 limiter, had numbers with
postscript letters. For example my RCA  consolette is a 76B5. So most of the famous
RCA microphones fall into this  group, the 44A, B, BX, the 77A, B, C, D,
DX, the 72 series,  etc. after the mid fifties, they went to a system with
letters followed by a number, BC for consoles, BTA  for AM transmitters, BTF
for FM transmitters, TT for TV  transmitters, SK for microphones, BA for
broadcast audio devices  such as limiters, monitor amps, etc. It's confusing
because they didn't  change the model number on existing products, but continued
to list them with  their original numbers side by side with the new lines
using the new number  scheme.
Bob Bruner
WTTW retired

It has always been a bit of a mystery to me how RCA decided on the model
numbers.

T probably stood for Television.  K for Camera.  Possibly the  German
version of the word?  R for Recorder.  S for switchers. G for  generators.  M for
monitors.  P for projectors and film items.

So why some other names.  WP for power?  W something for other  items.  TO
for some scopes and WR for others.

Many items just had an MI number which was the master index  number.

So any help from a former RCA person that can explain the  nomenclature?

Chris Hill
WA8IGN