RCA Nomenclature

Bob Bruner rabruner at aol.com
Thu Oct 2 11:19:25 CDT 2014

Almost everything had a Master Item number, but some things that were accessories or sub modules seem to have had only a master item number with a verbal description of it such as an MI-nnnn bridging pad, etc.  I'm not an RCA guy, but I have spent a few decades using, repairing, and studying RCA equipment and I've had some interesting conversations with RCA guys over the years. One observation I have is that, internally, RCA was not as monolithic as it might seem from the outside. The various RCA 'divisions' seem to have some degree of autonomy when it came to things like assigning model numbers. One evidence of this the graphical style of manuals and name tags, etc.  The type faces used, kerning, layouts, etc., vary quite a bit from product to product, especially when you cross manufacturing lines from one product field to another, consumer to broadcast, or broadcast to communications, or radar, and so on. Some things are attributed to the RCA Manufacturing Company, some to RCA Victor Corporation, some to RCA inc., and so on. They use different type styles for the company name even for products made and sold at the same time. There doesn't seem to have been an overall image czar such as you might expect today.  You can get a flavor of this by perusing the RCA equipment catalogues at AmericanRadioHistory.com. The 1939 catalog has an article that touches on the various internal divisions, for example.

Bob Bruner
WTTW retired
Sent from my iPad