QuadList Digest, Vol 75, Issue 4

Rob jeffwld at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 4 23:01:56 CDT 2014

> From: JeffWld at hotmail.com
> Subject: Re: Message from George MIller.
> To: quadlist at quadvideotapegroup.com
> Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 12:00:02 -0500

It is my understanding that only a short clip of Jack Paar's Tonight Show exists on tape. No complete shows on 2" were retained by NBC.
In fact, no complete Paar Tonight Show exists (in my years of research) in kinescope form either.

The kine clips that have been recycled over the years (they are always the same ones) only exist because Paar's garbage man had the presence of mind to keep them for their historic value after finding them in Paar's trash. He later donated these back to archives. These clips are all that could be located for any of the Jack Paar specials (on NBC and PBS), as well as the Shout Factory DVD's. The majority of Jack Paar clips most often seen (and often incorrectly credited to his Tonight Show era) are from Paar's prime-time show (1962-65), of which most survive as kines. The 2" masters were wiped by NBC.

Rob Sinclair