Capstan Information

Chill315 at aol.com Chill315 at aol.com
Wed Sep 24 10:26:25 CDT 2014

Don

That probably is the correct answer for the reason I asked.  Hope  you find
the drawing.  Then we can find out the dimensions.

I did find out more information.  Both RCA and Ampex used motors that  had
a pulley and belt arrangement to the capstan shaft.  Thus the  rotational
speed of the motors was reduced to drive the capstan shaft.  In  RCA's case
the motor is specified to turn at 1800 RPM.  I do not know the  Ampex speed
but it might be the same looking at the drive waveform in the  Intersync book.

Another interesting fact is that the Ampex shaft is machined to a spec  of
plus or minus .0002 inches.  There is a note in the Intersync  book about
replacing the 1000 series sine wave capstan motor with a square wave  motor.
It talks about protecting the shaft to prevent any damage and how  damage
can cause wow and flutter.

Now as an extreme example.  Suppose you have the  nominal circumference of
the VR capstan at 1.5 inches.  The 10  revolutions a second will pull the
tape through at 15 inches per second.   The servo during record always expects
this size and is told to turn it at 10  times a second.  As a result
everything is OK with locking to sync, control  track pulses, etc.  Go to play on
a VR machine with the same size  capstan and it all works out.

Now if the circumference were a little smaller, say 1.4 inches, then the
tape is only going to be pulled through at 14 inches per second.  The
recording will be off standard and a big problem.  Does the electronics  know? No,
because during record it is expecting the normal 1.5 inch  capstan.  If the
capstan were 1.6 inches, then the tape is being  recorded at 16 inches per
second.

These are extreme numbers to show the issue.   Fortunately we are  playing
back tapes and not recording so the servos can  handle minute differences
between machines.  We do not have to  worry about making tapes to SMPTE
standards.  Only playing back.  But  if the capstan were worn down a lot, this
could become an issue if it got out of  the capture range of the servo.

Now another thing that went through my mind.  All speed designs were  based
upon a black and white sync generator.  So the vertical is exactly 60  Hz.
So when taking into account the 3.58 MHz color sync generator, the  speed
is reduced because we are now at 59.94.  The speed would be 14.985  inches
per second.  Also everything above is stated using the 15 not  the 7.5 speed.
A little quirk and almost too much detail.

Now the interesting question is what are the capstan differences between
the VR series and the AVR-1 plus the RCA machines.  Was there a change to
the TCR-100, TR-70C and the TR-61?  How about the TR-600?

Chris Hill
WA8IGN

In a message dated 9/23/2014 1:24:37 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,