Capstan Information

Don Norwood quadlist at digitrakcom.com
Wed Sep 24 20:42:29 CDT 2014

Chris:

I can’t locate the drawing but will let you know if I do find it.  However, I did measure three VR series capstans and together with the +/-0.0002 spec, we can conclude several things.  The measurement that I get is a diameter of 0.7495 inches.  So to get 15 IPS, depending on exactly how many decimal points you care to use for the calcs, the capstan speed has to be 382.2267 RPM. That’s easy enough to do from a standard speed sync motor by using the appropriate sized pulleys on the motor and the capstan.

I want to clarify one thing.  I said that the VR machines used a belt drive.  That’s true for all VR models after the VR-1000 (1100/1200/2000) except for the 3000.  The 1000 used a direct drive sync motor with a smaller shaft (capstan) diameter and the 3000 used a DC motor with a tach.

But back to your question and some calculations, if we reduce the diameter by the maximum allowed spec to 0.7493, then the tape speed is reduced by about 0.004 IPS which would be slightly over 14 inches in one hour, or less than a second of tape time.  Expressed as a percentage variation of speed, it’s less than 3/100’s of one percent.  In trying to imagine how much a capstan could be worn by the tape, and after looking at the numbers, I just don’t think that’s the problem.  I’d still vote for tape slippage based on the criteria I listed previously in the email below.

Don Norwood
Digitrak Communications, Inc.
www.digitrakcom.com