[QuadList] VR2000 large round control button lamp replacement

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Fri May 15 12:41:56 CDT 2015

Hi, Buddy,

Are the buttons are flush with control panel?

If so, likely these were Merlin replacement buttons installed during an UltraFurb.

IF that's the case...

Try using Gorilla tape which is really sticky placed across the top surface of the button. (Other tapes are not be as tacky.  I know. I have Gorrilla tape on shelf next to me.)

Cut or tear a strip that's long enough to make "handles" or "tabs" on each side of the button.

Press the tape down to make good adhesion with the button surface.

Yank on the two ends of the tape to pop button out.

One British user drilled two small (1/8") holes in the top of the button, in a bit from the edge.

Theu used two L-shaped allen wrenches with the short ends inserted through the holes to be parallel with the lamp side of the button surface.

Like this:   —L—

Quickly tug and the button should pop out.

To remove lamps:

Slide small rubber tubing over lamp, squeeze to create vacuum and then pull out or unscrew, depending on the lamp.

This information comes from Ken Zin at Zin VTR Works, who replaced many original Ampex equipment buttons with the Merlin versions while working with Merlin over 35 years, quite likely on the machine you may be trying to work on.

Let us know how it goes.

Quad Videotape Group
e-mail:	ted at quadvideotapegroup.com

Ninth Annual Quad Videotape Group Lunch at NAB (2016):
12:30pm on Tuesday, April 19, 2016, Las Vegas Convention Center