AVR 2 Questons for machines near end of run

Don Norwood quadlist at digitrakcom.com
Thu Nov 19 10:18:44 CST 2015

Hi Chris:

I can answer some of this....

As to the A/D convertor, the the engineering drawings are dated ‘79 and ‘80.

The sloped transport was easy to do with the design of the Ampex “cart” that the deck sits in.  Add a wedge or some type of support bracket and you could have the transport sloped very easily, but I don’t think it was a factory offering.

The picture on David’s site is from one of the vtoldboys webpages http://www.vtoldboys.com/hw1970.htm and is of a BBC machine taken in the late 90’s.  My guess is that the control panel was a BBC special product.  It certainly is very different from the several standard panels available from Ampex.

Don Norwood
Digitrak Communications, Inc.
www.digitrakcom.com

From: Chill315 at aol.com

Perhaps Bill Carpenter will be the expert on this one.

David Dean in Great Britain has an AVR 2 with the TRW A to D chip instead of the original A to D boards.  I also looked at the picture that he has on line showing the machine.  There was a different control panel layout.  see www.westpoint.tv for the pictures

So when did Ampex change the A to D design to the TRW chip?  How many were made with this?

When did the control panel change to place the meters on the left side?

I have seen pictures of a number of machines that have the deck tilted at an angle.  Was this an Ampex option or did this become standard on later machines?

Or are these things making this a one off machine?

Chris Hill
WA8IGN