Not Quad, but....VPR2

rabruner at aol.com rabruner at aol.com
Wed Aug 3 03:11:33 CDT 2016

The 2Bs had a number of improvements in the servos with the reel motors; they had beefed up power amplifiers in almost all the servos which replaced the 2N3055s with Power Darlingtons, they had improved AST brushes on the scanner and improved scanner motors.  They had the coated capstans that helped prevent demagnetizing the tape with repeated edits; As someone has said, the reverse jog was improved to allow about 1/2 speed reverse play, and the forward AST performance was enhanced to about 1.5 times.  It was around this time that Ampex came out with stereo audio heads, with the gaps in line, as opposed to merely multichannel heads, so the stereo audio interchange was improved.  Audio noise performance was improved, but you still needed the Dolby cards to get acceptable audio s/n out of them.  The companion TBC-2B was enhanced with a wider memory window and improved vco lock, but the picture still hopped up and down in slo-mo.
   Many of these enhancements could be and were retrofitted on the VPR-2As
Bob Bruner

Attached Message

From

Delle Andrew <Andrew.Delle at technicolor.com>

quadlist at quadvideotapegroup.com <quadlist at quadvideotapegroup.com>

Subject

Not Quad, but....VPR2

Date

Mon, 1 Aug 2016 18:52:00 +0000

Does anybody have any insight on the differences between the VPR2 and the VPR2B?

I have both. One thing I found was the takeup motor on the 2B has a tach which the plain VPR2 does not. Is this something to do with the reverse AST ability the 2B had?

TIA